What is rosacea?
Rosacea is a harmless but unsightly skin disorder in the face. The most striking is the bright red color of the cheeks and nose. The condition may resemble acne, but rosacea is at a later age than acne, usually for the 30th year. Rosacea is mostly common in people with a fair complexion. Especially middle-aged women often suffer from it. In men, it is less common. Rosacea can be treated well, but it tends to stab on the head repeatedly. In this article we will give you an amazing content about rosacea treatment.
The symptoms develop gradually and tend to worsen over time. They vary from person to person.
- In the early stages, the symptoms are usually limited to flushing (self-retreating rednessor flushing) or a long-term redness of the cheeks, the nose, the middle of the forehead and chin. This is often accompanied by itchy, sometimes painful sensations in the face after exposure to the wind, excessive cold or after washing the face. It never occurs to itch.
- In a later stage on the cheeks very small capillaries (telangiectasia) are visible not disappear. This is called rosacea. There may also be red bumps (papules), and pimples (pustules) may develop, especially on the cheeks, nose and chin, but sometimes the entire face. Rosacea is therefore sometimes called acne rosacea, although the acne real little to do. The pores become more visible in the skin. At this stage, eye and eyelid abnormalities can also occur (see further). People who are suffering from Acne should know what to eat. There are many kind of foods which help to treat acne and face inflammation.
Ultimately create more red spots and thick disks (infiltrates) into the skin. Sometimes there is a swelling of the skin, skin roughens and becomes hard and lumpy.
Eye diseases (ocular rosacea)
Approximately receive half of the people with rosacea, over time, also eye problems: in particular inflammation of the eyelids (ocular rosacea), and of the cornea and the conjunctiva (keratoconjunctivitis). If not recognized and treated early, scars on the cornea can be formed through which to look worse. I.a. symptoms are dry eyes, burning, stabbing, watery eyes, a feeling like something is in the eye, red eye; intolerance of bright light, etc.
Cauliflower Nose (Rhinophyma)
When rhinophyma or cauliflower nose is swelling of the tissue so firmly around the pores of the nose, the skin roughened, and the nose turns dark red to purple, often with pimples and bumpy bulges making him look like a bloemkoolstronkje. Rhinophyma is seen mainly in older men. It has nothing to do with excessive drinking.
When to consult a doctor?
When all the questions of the test below to apply to you, then you may have rosacea, and do you best to consult a doctor.
what causes rosacea
The cause of rosacea is unknown, but it is, at least in its early form, to an abnormal reaction of the blood vessels in the face. At a later stage, it is accompanied by chronic inflammation. Although rosacea is treated with antibiotics, there is no indication that it was going to be a bacterial infection.
Some factors can affect an existing rosacea but are not the cause.
Food and alcohol
Alcohol may temporarily worsen the dilation of superficial blood vessels in the skin, but is no cause of rosacea. Has nothing to do with excessive alcohol a cauliflower nose or rhinophyma. The same goes for spicy or hot foods and drinks.
- Vasodilator medications can exacerbate existing rosacea.
- Local use of ointments with the adrenal hormone, called. “Corticosteroid” makes rosacea worse.
Heat / cold( climate conditions)
Rosacea is often the worst in the winter. In many patients, improvement occurs in the summer, but others are under the influence of the sun, the skin lesions worse. Sunlight and other forms of heat will cause a worsening of symptoms in most people with rosacea.
Probably the transition from cold to heat, making the skin blood vessels widen, the reason for the worsening of rosacea.
Many patients find that the condition (temporarily) worsens when the use of cleansing lotions, shampoos and the like.
Psychological factors (stress, depression, violent emotions …) are not a cause. They may worsen the symptoms are temporary. Rosacea can also cause mental problems because people are ashamed of their red cheeks and nose.
Hormonal factors do not play a role in rosacea, this in contrast to acne vulgaris. Hot flashes during menopause can aggravate rosacea symptoms.
Displays of computers are sometimes called, but they are not a cause of rosacea, nor worsening.
In some people, the symptoms worsen during heavy physical exertion.
What can you do for rosacea?
The general recommendation is that you should avoid any factors that you feel that your symptoms worsen them.
Food and alcohol
Avoid alcohol, spicy foods and hot beverages.
Heat and cold
- Be careful with hot showers, baths and saunas.
- Avoid exposure to strong wind and intense cold,
- Protect your skin from sunlight with a sunscreen with a high protection factor.
- Avoid potential skin irritants such as soaps, products containing alcohol, irritating cosmetics, peels, etc .;
- Never use corticosteroid creams or ointments in the face.
- The face was always with lukewarm water
- Use a soap-free wash gel, and as little as possible
- Do not use (rough) Washcloth
- pat face dry, do not rub.
- Always warm up for sports
- Sufficient drinking
- Do not exercise in hot weather.
Drug Rosacea treatment
Rosacea can not be cured, but the symptoms can be fairly well controlled. Once treatment is withdrawn put, the head, However, the disease often crosses again.
For a mild rosacea is chosen for local treatment (on the skin itself). If this helps insufficient treatment added with pills. In severe rosacea is treated directly with both pills as with local therapy.
Rosacea natural treatment
A natural Rosacea treatment is preferable, especially in the early stages.
There are a lots of products in the market which offers “solutions” for Rosacea, but unfortunately most of them are not helpful. As well as the are products in the market which popular as a good treatment with good results among peoples who are suffering from Rosacea.
- Natural Couperose cream is the first choice for natural Rosacea treatment. At the beginning of the treatment twice a day, once a day subsequently over the entire face. First, wash the skin before the cream is applied. This cream can be used during pregnancy.
- Local use of the antibiotics tetracycline, erythromycin, and clindamycin is sometimes used in gel or lotion form but is less effective. Tetracycline can be well-applied clindamycin during pregnancy.
- From azelaic acid, ketoconazole, permethrin, sulfacetamide, and tretinoin is the effect so far proved insufficient. Tretinoin control should not be used during pregnancy.
- The most common rosacea treatment creams in the market are: Eucerin, Royal Sea and Prosacea Rosacea.
- Topical corticosteroids are not recommended: although they inhibit inflammation, they worsen with prolonged use skin rash and intensify to stop skin disorders.
Oral Rosacea treatment
In a case of the insufficient result of local treatment can be envisaged with a systemic treatment of pills, optionally in combination with a local-to-use ointment or gel. This treatment is given:
- If local treatment does not sufficiently
- in very great acute forms, especially if a lot of pimples or skin is swollen
- in inflammation of the eye (rosacea keratitis).
Antibiotics Rosacea treatment
The duration of treatment is at least six weeks, after which the dose can be gradually reduced. Often, the treatment at a low dose has to be further put prolonged. Upon the stop of the oral treatment, the local treatment is to be set to further reduce the risk of recurrence. The disadvantage of long-term antibiotics, among other things that they can cause stomach and intestinal complaints and make the skin more vulnerable to the sun.
- Tetracyclines are the first choice in the treatment of rosacea with many pimples. It also improves oogaantastingen. They should not be used during pregnancy.
- Doxycycline and minocycline are widely used but are less studied.
- Metronidazole. Also, treatment with metronidazole is effective. Because of the potentially dangerous side effects, this means less used in rosacea. Metronidazole should not be used during the first trimester of pregnancy.
The dilated veins of rosacea can be treated with laser therapy
Eye disorders treatment
Normally will usually have to be consulted an ophthalmologist.
- If eyelid inflammation (blepharitis) often enough good eyelid hygiene, such as cleaning two to three times daily with a cotton ball or cotton swab dabbed in physiological water.
- Local treatment with metronidazole gel and fusidic acid gel (Fucithalmic) improves symptoms of eye inflammation.
- Long-term treatment with antibiotics (doxycycline or tetracycline) has a favorable effect on eye diseases.
- For dry eyes may tell the doctor ‘artificial tears’.
Treatment of ‘Cauliflower Nose’ or Rhinophyma
First of all, the rosacea itself must be brought under control with antibiotics. Then plastic surgery can be considered to remove the swelling and deformity. There are various techniques, such as electrosurgery (burn off), lasers, or freezing with liquid nitrogen (cryotherapy).